Fantom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Odd problem here, which I am hoping someone will be able to help!

I had an extractor fan fitted 10 months ago. It is a normal Manrose bathroom fan bought from B&Q, which has a timer but does not have a humidistat.

It is turned on when the bathroom light is switched on and when the light is switched off, it stays on timer for 20 minutes.

This worked fine for 6 months but then 4 months ago, it started to turn itself on randomly or it stays on for hours on end until it is switched off at the isolation switch outside the bathroom.

Any guess at what the problem is? Is the fan broke? It sometimes works fine but then has problems other times. I do not know how the fan can turn itself on or how it can stay on for hours?

Sponsored Links
Likely the humidity in the bathroom has affected the component(s) in the timer.

Might be worth taking the cover off and drying it out gently (at a distance) with a hairdryer.

Switch the isolator off first :unsure:

Return the fan for a replacement - or get the installer back to do same.
It is less than 12 months old - so don't waste your time trying to repair it.

So you guys think it is the fan and not the wiring or a power supply problem in the property?

Sponsored Links
Have you changed the lamps for energy savers recently ?

The fans rely on a low impedance lamp to bring the potential on the switched live down to neutral to indicate the lamp is off. Energy saving and some other modern lamps do not always bring the switched live potential down to neutral so the fan thinks the lamp is still on.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/loft-fan-stuck-on.377928/#2890655#ixzz2gBnHxELY

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back