FAO Breezer / Anyone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got myself a new thermostat as per message lower down, taken the old one off and sussed the wiring out etc.
It does say with new one that it must be earthed and their is what appears to be an earthing point inside it, though their doesn't appear to be an earth wire in the old one.
Am I right in thinking that these things are automatically earthed from the main box and that the new thermostat doesn't need a seperate earth connected inside it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
unless double insulated, (as indicated by a square within a square) or low voltage every electrcial appliance / product should be earthed.

Your existing cable should have an earth in it (bare copper wire) sometimes people have been known to cut this off, if your cable looks flat and grey (or white) it is probably a twin and earth and someone has cut the earth off, strip it back an inch or two and see if it is there

Thanks Beezer. Will have another look in a while. Had to turn electric back on so PC would work and to make kids dinner :D

Can't remember exactly now i've put it back but I think there was a red wire on it's own and a grey cable with 2 other red wires coming out.
I understand what you mean, that there may also be a copper wire within the grey cable that has been cut back.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help Breezer. Earth cable was there as you said but due to being cut back wasn't long enough for the job :( .

Will have to get some cable and try and extend it some other time. Job on hold for now..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back