Installing a surface mounted socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just purchased a 1-gang, switched, surface mounted plastic socket to replace an existing socket which has a damaged case.

I see that the old socket face plate has a metal strip running from the earth terminal to one of the screw fixing points, whereas the new socket just has a (not so convenient) earth terminal inside the back box.

I presume the old socket is already earthed by virtue of the metal strip. Is it a "must-do" to connect a seperate earth wire from the earth terminal on the face plate of my new socket to the terminal on the backbox?

Can I buy earth wire at the DIY store?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

The socket will be connected to a single T&E mains cable.
The back box is a basic Wickes item with a small brass connector on the inside corner.

Sponsored Links
You should connect your earth wire directly to the back of the socket and ignore the terminal on the plastic pattress (Its there for convience if using the pattress for a light switch)

If its a plastic back box (pattress) then it does not require an earth. It is plastic so non conductive!

The socket will have an earth terminal for the earth of the T&E to terminate into. Do not attach it to the back box (pattress)!

Thanks all for your prompt replies, but am getting a little confused....

There seems to be a difference of opinion over the need for an additional earth wire from the earth connector on the face plate to the terminal in the plastic pattress.

Thanks all for your prompt replies, but am getting a little confused....

There seems to be a difference of opinion over the need for an additional earth wire from the earth connector on the face plate to the terminal in the plastic pattress.

There is no difference of opinion, no one here has told you to earth a plastic pattress!!

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

I did say in my first post that the socket was plastic (although I didn't say pattress specifically), and Holmslaw did say in his reply:

".....an additional earthwire from the socket earth terminal to the back box."

You do not earth a plastic pattress as there is no need. Plastic is an insulator and will not become live! Just connect the earth to the socket. If you were fitting a metal back box then I would fit a fly lead but as you aren't then there is no need!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back