Farrow and Ball modern emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've never used F&B before but they have just the colour I'm looking for. Before I splash out can anyone tell me what it's like to work with please. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Being a basic Painter and Decorator, I try to stick with Trade Paints, dont go much on"Trendy" Paints,or in the "In " thing at the moment, unless the customer stipulates, then I ensure its the Customers responsibility regarding the materials.

Have used F&B a few times though nothing to write home about IMO, but if the Customer likes it I dont complain.
If you like the colour go for it.

Thank you. I usually use Dulux or Crown but once branched out into Benetton emulsion with disastrous results as it was so thin, which is why I'm wary of trying a new make.

Dulux etc will mix you a F&B colour.

Sponsored Links
F&B is nice and thick and goes on well from my experience, certainly not watery or thin like some of the shed's own brand stuff.

I tried it out many years ago and found it thin, it needed an extra coat to cover and it was expensive. A colour chart of theirs enabled me to get the colours I wanted mixed up by my local paint shop and I've not bought F and B paint since.

However, it may have changed since then so this post may be of no use at all !

I tried it out many years ago and found it thin, it needed an extra coat to cover and it was expensive. A colour chart of theirs enabled me to get the colours I wanted mixed up by my local paint shop and I've not bought F and B paint since.

However, it may have changed since then so this post may be of no use at all !

I found the same, after three coats the Emulsion still appeared patchy, the Job was a holiday home it ended up the customer having to get some more emulsion to make a reasonable job
Anyone remember Laura Ashley Wallpaper, it was like hanging Tissue paper to the walls once it got wet, and those silly little flowers needed a magnifying glass to match up the seams. Thank goodness that "trend" is over

You guys are talking about estate emulsion as the modern emulsion has only been available in the last year or two. Its got a higher vinyl content than the estate and is easier to apply.
What i like about F&B is the quality of the pigment its natural and finely ground. Getting a dulux or johnstones made up in the same colour will not come very close to an F&B finish (especially Dulux).

You guys are talking about estate emulsion as the modern emulsion has only been available in the last year or two. Its got a higher vinyl content than the estate and is easier to apply.
What i like about F&B is the quality of the pigment its natural and finely ground. Getting a dulux or johnstones made up in the same colour will not come very close to an F&B finish (especially Dulux).

I agree. One of my customers bought a F & B colour mixed more cheaply in a Leyland base and it took three coats to cover a lighter shade.

I have also discovered that it is not possible to replicate Laura Ashley's Pale Twine in any other base. Easier to wait for their '30% off paint' promotions when 5 litres costs about the same as Dulux Trade emulsion.

I had to use some Laura Ashley duck egg and have to admit it was a really nice paint. I think it may be made by F&B.

Also i'd like to throw little green into the mix as for me they are the best out of the lot, their eggshell is superb (WB) and not used it but the oil eggy is meant to be really good as well.

Thank you for the comments, there are enough positives there for me to try it! I'm hoping to do the painting next week so fingers crossed .

Just to let you know that the painting went really well, the F+B was great to work with and looks fantastic. I'd defo use it again.

The only drawback was that I had to order it on the Internet (not from the F+B site, too expensive) but got free P&P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back