FASCIA BOARD PAINT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any paint i could paint a wooden or plywood fascia with that wont need doing every year---dont want pvc----can i use car paint ??????????

Sponsored Links
the best paint on the market is ranch semi gloss.quite expensive but covers first rate and will last for years.i use it on as many contracts that i can

dulux weathershield should give you ten years(probably less in practice)it is good but you do need to use the full system its not cheap either mind.

Sponsored Links
its horrible non environmentaly freindly stuff , but having said that is maintainance free

Thanks fellas, nothing wrong with upvc, i just wanted to make a feature of this by cutting a design in it on the gables and being as one gable would require scaffold to paint it, i didnt want to be up there every summer. As regards cost, this way works out far more expensive. The idea was to paint it all first then put it up----Now you are going to tell me this idea is wrong ??

wickerman said:
Now you are going to tell me this idea is wrong ??
Not at all, I hope you wasn't thinking I'm having a go at you, just wanted to help. I just wondered if pvc was a better option but as you say was the cost. There is a bitumen / ruberoil paint for long term but I can't think of the name at the moment. Having said that the wood still need to breathe so I don't know what the long term problem might be.

Info, I don't know how much fascia board you have but I 've bought some last week, L shape 5m pvc fascia for £15 per length.

I didnt think you was having a dig at me, dont know why you thought that, but another question, would you use a hard wood or marine ply for the fascia ??????????

ooh that would be posh most fascia is just plain old softwood.

wickerman said:
would you use a hard wood or marine ply for the fascia ??????????
Sorry wickerman, I've been feeling a bit down lately but anyway, I would've thought the hardwood might be more expensive than pvu (?) but if you can afford it then you could oil the hardwood instead of paint and not worry about paint peeling. If you do decide for ply make sure it's exterior plywood as it's laminated with waterproof glue. It really how you want it to look like and costs.

How do you mean by oil the hardwood ? Would that last so i wasnt up there every year ? its in a very exposed position, lots of wind and rain

If you use an oil on hardwood, it soaks into the wood and thus doesn't flake or peel off like paint. (which is the most unsightly bit)

The trouble is, once facias, barge boards etc. have peeled, moisture gets into the timber and when you paint over it, the moisture has to get out. As it rises to the surface of the wood, it peels the paint.

If you do decide to repaint, do it during a really warm dry spell, and sand, knot, prime, undercoat twice then gloss using a good quality branded paint.

If you are going to the trouble of scaffolding, your best bet is to clad the lot and have done. Imho

But what about the oil bit ? does it last and can you reoil it and how often does it need doing ????????????

Yes, longer than paint but does require reoiling as and when (every couple of years?).

Just reapply over the top. None of the faffing about associated with painting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back