Fastening loft insulation to stud partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house is a dormer construction with low (~ 1m) vertical walls between the pitched roof and the floors of the first floor rooms. Behind these walls are triangular loft spaces, accessible via small trap doors. The low walls are insulated by rockwool roof insulation jammed between the studs forming the wall. The insulation is the thickness of the studs (100mm nominal).
I wish to improve the level of insulation by fitting some additional 200mm loft insulation to the vertical walls from inside the loft space. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to retain this insulation up against the existing insulation? Working space is extremely limited and access difficult, so its got to be easy.
I've thought of stapling string at several levels to the studs & running it horizontally across the face of the new insulation, repeating the stapling at intervals as it passes over studs. But I fear that the insulation may be compressed too much. I thought of using duct tape as its much wider than the string, and would compress the insulation much less, but it doesn't fasten well to loose fibrous material & I suspect it will be a tricky sticky operation in the limited space. I would also need to staple it to the studs & suspect it will just tear off. A friend suggested using hessian upholstery webbing which is wide & would staple easily, but it seems relatively expensive (I would need ~ 140m).
Whilst solid foam board insulation would be easier to fix, I would have to cut it into very small pieces to get it into the loft, so its not a viable solution.
Anyone got any suggestions for alternative methods of fastening the insulation?

Sponsored Links
How about cutting some thin slats of wood ( 15 mm thick ?) position one either side of the insulation and clamping them as tightly as possible just below the top of the length of insulation you require and then screw together as many times as necessary to give firm support.

Then punch holes in insulation just below batten and feed through the string attched to rafters/suitable high point.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back