faulty boiler wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,Warmfront install a central heating system for my mother in july 2007 it is a IDEAL ISAR HE24,She had a stoke and was bedbound in the extenstion in her house and i was looking after her full time and the heating was on round the clock last winter until she passed away in the spring.
The heating system was perfect until the early hours of last wednesday when the rccb had tripped the cooker clock had stopped at 01:30,So i reset the trip and the power was on ok i then put the heating on and it would not work.
I went up in the loft where the boiler is and it was dead there are two fcu's and both 3 amp fuses where blown.
So i contacted warmfront and they said they could not do anything because i don't own the house yet so i have to wait for probate.
I decided to have a look myself to see if it was something simple,When i took the cover off the boiler to check the wiring i just couldn't believe what i was seeing see diagram below.
Note the grey wire is white on the installation.

View media item 5869
Last wed was a cold night and it must be the first time the frost and thermostat operated and of course the result is a short circuit,I am self taught in electrical and electronics but i am not qualified.
As you can see in the diagram the two earth connections in the reciever box have no continuity and in the boiler it is connected to L2,The earth wire from the froststat has been used as a control connection which i would never do because in my mind would cause confusion and it looks like it confused the qualified electrician that did the install.
Also there is no continuity from the boiler and the ring main only through the water pipes.
I don't know what the regs say on that point but the fact that he used four core cable for the reciever to the boiler why did he not use it for the froststat.
I have removed the froststat temporarily so we can have some heat.
The question now is do i contact warmfront and tell them what iv'e found because i'm not a qualified electrician or could i tell them a white lie and say i've had one out and he's condemmed it as unsafe.

andy

Sponsored Links
lie and demand they fix it, be honest and they will say you have messed with it, please don't think i am being insensitive as i am absolutely not, but from my time as EAGA (now warmfront) contractor if the qualifying customer is no longer in the property that the grant was issued to there could be a possible claw back of funds if still under warranty if you intend to sell the house etc, as it is government funding a house with new heating is worth more than without so if someone sells the house they are making profit from the grant so best to check it out carefully, perhaps not an issue if the customer has passed away as surely they wouldn't be so insensitive but i do remember a couple of jobs that got reclaimed as there was an issue with whether the pensioner was actually living in the house or had been shipped in from the other sons house to apply for the grant, the old chap didn't speak any english so we had to converse with a family member over the phone but the old guy didn't know anything about the house and honestly looked as if he was sitting in he house for the first time, shocking.

My advise is very plain and simple!

You have identified the fault yourself and you understand how to fix it.

Fix it yourself and DO NOT CONTACT Warmfront.

Incidentally, I dont think that Warmfront were right to refuse to deal with it until probate is granted. They did the job and should repair their faulty work regardless but its better not to get into that argument.

As advised above if you involve them they may try to claw back some of the Government money.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys thats just what i wanted to know so i'll fix it myself,The froststat is knackered the relay contacts must be welded together and probibly the pipestat as well.
Inicdently warmfront knew about my mother passing away i didn't say anything about that when i rang up,sSo all the government dept's must be notified including tv licensing dep't.
Thanks again. :D

You have rather implied that you are living in the same house but its owned in the name of your late mother.

If so then I cannot even start to advise where you stand in relation to any grant work but I still think its best to keep your head low!

I am very surprised that anyone had advised Warmfront!

Tony

You have rather implied that you are living in the same house but its owned in the name of your late mother.

If so then I cannot even start to advise where you stand in relation to any grant work but I still think its best to keep your head low!

I am very surprised that anyone had advised Warmfront!

Tony

I wasn't living there i have a place of our own with my other half but was traveling there twice a day wasn't an ideal situation but at least she was able to live in her own home.
I did on a few occaisions have to sleep there espeacially when she needed something and then she would press the careline button then they would ring me to attend.
I should add looking at my first post that it loooks like i'm living there which i am not but i am in the process of sorting things out.
The cooker clock is a mechanical clock and said 01:30 but it was when i came to the house at 10:00 was when i found that the power was off,That i suppose is what i should have said.
thanks for your point though.

andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back