Faulty central heating pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
recently we have had a few problems with our heating / hot water supply.
firstly the float valve in the loft tank seized not letting any hot water into the tank (solved that problem).
Then we had no heating or hot water? replaced tank stat but then could only get hot water?
Fault was found to be the 3 point motorised valve heating and hot water Yippee.

Now occasionally the heating causes the fuse to trip in the consumer unit?
I checked the heating pump earlier when the heating was supposed to be running however the pump was not running but i could hear the buzzing of the electric running to it? could it be this that causes the fuse to trip?

Is it possible that a heating pump could occasionaly seize??

any help would be gratefully received.

we have had an electrician out and he could find no fault with the wiring to the heating system?

Sponsored Links
If the pump is suspect, replace it. Keep the old one, and if the fault isn't cured, you have a spare pump.

not really sure how to test the pump but i have noticed it does get extremly hot (too hot to touch comfortably) whilst running is this normal.

Sponsored Links
Happened again tonight boiler fired up but pump wasn't working?
gave the pump a decent tap and then turned up the flow on the pump and it kicked into action????

how would i rectify a airblock in the pump?

if i replaced the pump would i be still likely to have the same problem?

Airlock behind pump - bleed pump or turn gas supply off to boiler and then try to fire - at least no overheat that way!

Airlock behind pump - bleed pump or turn gas supply off to boiler and then try to fire - at least no overheat that way!

I suppose that must have some meaning.

Thanks for all the advice,
But am i right in thinking that a sieized pump could cause fuse to trip?

gonna get pump changed anyway!

"Fuses" dont trip! They blow!

RCDs, RCCDs and MCBs can trip!

Pumps often randomly trip those as a result of water leakage into the winding or connections.

Tony

Yes that's what i meant lol

:oops:

Tends to trip more though when central heating is running????

seems to work fine when running hot water

You have not bothered to tell us which model of boiler you have!

Its unlikely the pump knows what the heat is to be used for!

Tony

sorry,
The boiler is an ideal classic rs30
all the heating controls are by landis & gyr apart from the cylinder stat which is a drayton hts3 ,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back