Faulty Hot Water Cylinder???

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I believe I have a faulty hot water cylinder.
Basically, my small header tank in the loft has been overflowing through the pipe to the outside.
Ball valve has been changed and tests done to see if the excess water is coming from the vent pipe but neither were guilty.
I switched off the heating controller to rule out an issue with the pump as well.
Still it overflows.... And I have left it quite a while.
I've been told that the cause of this can be perferations in the cylinder internal piping causing outer cylinder water to be forced in the pipeline and pushed back up into the small header tank.
Before I call a plumber to come and change my hot water cylinder, I just wanted to check with you all whether there's something else I should be considering or further tests I could do?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You could bung the outlet from the cold water storage cistern in the loft ( or close off the water supply to it and drain it ). You would ,of course, then not have any domestic hot water. See if the level in the small f&e tank remains stable.
Unfortunately you would need to leave things in this state for quite some time.
How long does it take for f&e tank level to go from, say ,just below overflow level ,to running into overflow ? If that takes 4 hours ,you would need to run the test for a bit longer than that ,if your with me

Isolate ball valve to f&e and drain it.
See if it fills again and how long it takes.
You're not running CH (hopefully) so there should be no expansion from that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back