Faulty Ideal Classic FF280

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler is 15 years old. It has stopped lighting. There is just a hum sound, indicating power to the boiler, when the thermostat demands heat.

Would that be a faulty pump? Is it worth repairing after 15 years or would it be wiser to replace the boiler completely?

The system has had a problem with dropping pressure which the instruction manual states is an indication of a leak. Would that be likely to be in the boiler or elsewhere in the radiator system?

Sponsored Links
If it works fine otherwise it may be simple repair and save you some hassle.

The leak could be a rad/pipe or the discharge valve that normally exits out the back of the boiler. Otherwise known as a PRV.

Check the boiler manual for start up sequence.

It doesn't work. Just a humming sound from the boiler indicating power to the boiler. The burner doesn't light and the pump does not appear to be running. So no heating and no hot water.

Why do these things always happen at the start of a long weekend? That question was just rhetorical.

The boiler would still fire up if the pump was faulty.
It's a simple fix, but it will need an RGI to repair though. Certainly not worth binning the boiler over.

The pressure loss is another issue which most likely can be fixed without drama when the boilers repaired. I'd imagine the expansion vessel is flat or the flexi pipe is blocked to it.

Sponsored Links
Does a light come on the boiler to show demand for hot water? If so check to see if the pump starts to get warm when there is demand for heat.

julias dad, heed petit's advice. Fault almost 100% to be inside boiler and it's worth repairing.

The part we suspect is quite expensive but still worth repairing.

That model of boiler is pretty reliable although not very efficient.

But the cost of replacing at about £1800 represents perhaps 10 years of the additional cost of gas that would be saved by a modern condensing boiler.

Tony

Having looked through the 'fault finding' section in the manual I believe the humming noise will be the fan? The part after that is asking if the ignition electrode is sparking. I can not see any evidence of that so ...

Why wait til Tuesday.
I've been out all day at work.
The part u need I have in stock and I would expect a lot of heating engineers will. I can sometimes be repaired with out a part but only if u turn it off soon and stop the buzzing ;)

Just had someone out to look at it. It turns out it is the fan sticking after all. The humming noise was just the electrical hum. When the fan can spin up the burner ignites and it works fine. So hopefully he can get a functioning fan to replace the old one. Otherwise I shall have to wait till next week to get a replacement fan.

Actually he didn't have a replacement fan for our model so cleaned up the original and the system now works. How long for I don't know but I now have a good local plumber who knows our boiler and is Ideal accredited so any further problem and I know who to call.

The main problem with any plumbing or heating problem is knowing a good reliable local tradesman.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back