Pump Fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Classic FF280 boiler based system. I had to drain the system to remove an unwanted radiator from the system and now it is now struggling to restart. There is a continuous low frequency hum from the motor, even with the boiler switched off. If I restart the boiler it occasionally fires up for a few seconds before stopping. This same thing happened about two years ago, the last time I drained the system, but it started to work again after 12 hours.
Does this indicate a likely pump fault?

Sponsored Links
Please define "struggling".
If it's overheatng that's lack of circulation, or air in th boiler.
Look for bleed points eg at cylinder input.
remove screw from centre of pump to bleed that, and turn shaft with fingers or screwdriver in case pump has stuck.

Thanks for the reply. "Struggling" means that when I switch the boiler on, 9 times out of 10 nothing happens, the remaining time it fires up but stops after about 2-5 seconds.

I have bled all the radiators and the pump, but not tried anything else yet.

how do you turn the pump manually as advised?
youdon't mean poking through the bleed hole?

Sponsored Links
If you have 240V at pump each time it trys to start then it could be time to replace the pump ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back