Pump at fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hopefully someone can solve my problem as I'm now completely frustrated after 2 days. Boiler serviced in summer and when system restarted to bleed radiators the boiler kept overheating. Engineer found cold elbow inlet to pump was almost completely blocked up with black solid sludge so replaced. On bleeding radiators 4 upstairs and 3 downstairs, 2 on end of one run weren't heating up. Drained whole system and ran with Sentinal X800 for 5 days. Flushed system, removed 2 suspect radiators and flushed through with hose until running clear. Reconnected radiators filled system, all but same 2 are heating nicely. Closed all upstairs and single downstairs one at end of line, and then drained system again. On refilling, the 2 radiators heated up nicely and were working perfectly. I then proceeded to turn back on the other radiators, bleeding as necessary. Remaining rads heat up nicely, but then the 2 downstairs have stopped working again. I've had system running while draining thought valve on feed to 2 warm radiators and I get all pipes to and from red hot, but still to no avail and they get lukewarm at best. I'm wondering now whether the pump is to blame, as it is very hot to touch and has obviously been having to deal with a pretty sludged up system for some time/struggling to pump water through a partially blocked union.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The pump will get very hot if there is no flow or if it is either jammed completely or turning very slowly.

See the FAQ on how to check the speed.

Then perhaps to remove the head to see if the impellor is blocked.

Tony

Last edited:
Pump failed last night, so replaced, balanced rads and full system working. (y)

Sponsored Links
you might consider a system filter. The cleaner will have dislodged and loosened sediment, you can never drain it all out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back