faulty stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was built around 1930 and I assume the stopcock is the original. It now does not work. The handle turns but has no effect on the water flow. It seems that something has broken inside as it there is a rattling sound coming from it when the water is flowing. It is partly embedded in a tiled wall and the pipe is lead, so I don't really want to replace it. I would appreciate it if anyone could advise on the possibility of a repair. I have arranged for the water company to turn the water off next week so I would appreciate any advice asap. Is it possible to buy a similar stopcock so that I can replace the working parts only, or is there such a thing as a repair kit. etc, etc.

Sponsored Links
It called Lead Loc compression fitting.
Turn off the water supply,then cut a small section from the pipe and take it with you to the plumbers' merchant, to identify the correct Leadloc fittings as lead pipes vary,put the Leadloc fitting onto the lead pipe in the same way as you would with any compression fitting.Connect a copper or plastic pipe to the fitting with a new valve.

BUT make sure you can get hold of Lead Loc in your sizes before cutting the pipe.

Geoffd, Yes, an old (or old age) problem!
Theoretically one can replace the armature in a stopcock (rising stem assembly and washer) by buying a new stopcock and canibalising it to replace the existing armature but this is fraught with difficulty in terms of removing the old armature and finding one with a matching thread, which is extremely unlikely to be possible in view of age and changes in thread sizes and pitch over recent years. I think you would be best advised to bit the bullet and plumb in a new cock (and accept the necessity to make good afterwards!) Commiserations!

Thanks very much for your responses.
Could anyone tell me whether I have to have a stopcock immediately within the premises. My reason for asking is that the lead piping only goes as far as the loftspace. It has then been joined to copper and all the remaining pipework is copper. It would be much easier to fit some kind of valve within the loftspace on copper pipe to isolate the cold water storage tank and c/h header tank. Also a valve to isolate the cold water tap to the kitchen sink. This would cover all the pipework except the relatively short length from ground floor to the loftspace.
Any comments?

Sponsored Links
You can put a stopcock on the copper in your loft and pray the lead pipe lasts for ever :confused: .Won't stop your rattling noise though. There should be isolation valves on all those components already.

hi, i have a similar problem,my stopcock handle has broken off and the shaft has seized up.the only way i can turn on my water is with the nut on the stop cock.this causes it to drip. if i open it a fraction it's not too bad wrapped in pfte tape.the stop cock is into lead on one side{this is in very good condition} and copper the other. how much would a plumber charge me to replace a stopcock? is it possible to repair myself ?.i'm not too bad at diy. any help please,thanks.

you could try Tapping up :rolleyes: the water co. to find what type of key they use ...and then get/make one similar keep it handy and it`s as quick as turning off inside the house :idea:

Nige F said:
you could try Tapping up :rolleyes: the water co. to find what type of key they use ...and then get/make one similar keep it handy and it`s as quick as turning off inside the house :idea:

Usually a bog standard crutch type key. You can operate a tap with a clothes prop or a piece of 2x2 with a V-groove in the end provided the tap isn't too stiff.
Some "plug-type" stopcocks are square 3/4" that turn a quarter (always go clockwise, anti-clockwise can pop them out of the housing).

Newer type taps in meter boxes usually have a key to operate in the box, but if not a 6mm hex/allen key will fit.

Only problem with using the external tap is that it is the property of the water company and if you break it then you may get charged. Going rate round here is about £350.

They have different tricks for operating outside stop taps that have had the crutch/tee snapped off but they keep them secret ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back