Faulty Whirlpool fully-intergrated dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, had a good look through previous posts but I would be very grateful if anyone could offer an opinion. Apologies in advance for the essay....

We have a Whirlpool fully-intergrated dishwasher (model G2P DWI/1WH) which is just over 2 years old. A few weeks ago we had some problems with the ring main that most of our appliances are on; a double socket blew due to bad wiring. That's now sorted but I think that the problem has zapped the dishwasher!

Symptoms are as follows:

Dishwasher will run a cold `rinse` cycle (I believe it does not heat the water on this setting), but if you open the door mid-cycle it cuts out entirely and does not restart. Have to power off at the wall, and then restart the cycle from scratch.

If I choose any other cycle (which heats the water) it simply refuses to work 90% of the time and just sits there making a very quiet humming noise (as if a pump is running). Sometimes it works though... so long as we don't open the door mid-cycle!

The machine pumps water in and out OK, but I'm not seeing any flashing lights on the control panel.

I suspect a faulty PCB... as I understand from reading previus posts that a heater fault would normally show flashing lights on the the door panel. Sleepyhead, if you are reading this, could you confirm this?

So, the cost of a NEW circuit board from Whirlpool is about £90, and the engineer call out is £79. I can't afford to pay this right now.

I'm tempted to undertake the repair myself (need to save as much money as poss) but I don't want to spend £90 on a new PCB in case that the fault lies elsewhere. Does it sound like the PCB is the problem from what I've written. If so, is it difficult to replace a PCB?

Also does anyone know of a place that sells refurbished pcbs? I've tried eBay without any luck, but a chap I spoke to mentioned a place in Birmingham that sells refurbed circuit boards. I'd be willing to spend £50 - £60 to give this a try. Does anyone have any details (online yellow pages and google doesn't give me any help).

Would be grateful for any advice!

Thanks in advance

CAP

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back