Faulty Yale barrel lock - need advice

We have a Yale barrel lock on the front door.
Occasionally, we'll have problems inserting the key. Maybe once every 2 months.

Yesterday, it was jammed. My son broke his key trying to get in. I tried. No luck. It was jammed. I was sure there might be something stuck inside. I climbed over the neighbours garden wall got in through the back. The lock would not work from the inside. I had to climb out the window to get out.

Sometime later, the wife arrives. I show her the key won't go in and demonstrate. She then takes the key and puts it all the way in and turns and opens the door. ‍‍

WTF. It was like a King Arthur moment.

Someone has told me that the lock needs replacing. If it's getting jammed every now and then, then that shows its going faulty.

The lock was changed 9 years ago.

Any thoughts? I don't want to go changing the lock unnecessarily.

Thanks.

A few years ago. my mum asked me to replace the door furniture on her front door. she wanted a black "yale" type lock.

I fitted it. Two days later, her key got stuck and it ended up engaging the dead lock feature, like your's it meant that you couldn't open the door from the inside. I had to use an adjustable spanner to turn the key enough to remove it. I then took out the black plated cyclinder and put the old brass Yale cylinder it, but this time I put it in upside down so that it cannot engage the dead lock feature.

I contacted the iron monger that supplied the door locks. They sent me another black cylinder (again, key alike to match the thumb turn deadlock). I put the key in the new cylinder before fitting it, turned the key and loads of brass filling fell out. The guy at the iron monger apologised and said that he would find a better quality cylinder from elsewhere. I never got around to chasing him up...

TL:DR- turn your cylinder upside down if you don't plan to use the deadlock feature, the down side is that you need more of a key twist to unlock the door.

Edit- sorry I typed this before you posted images, Please ignore the above.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back