Feature Wall colout help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im looking at doing a feature wall and would appreciate some help/guidance. I currently have Tuscan Terrocota on all walls and was thinking of painting the main wall either Moroccan Flame or Golden Umber 3. Do you think the colour schemes would work?

SDC11534.jpg

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sponsored Links
It is of course up to you - it's your home! - but you have suggested two extremely bright colours, either of which would make an already 'busy' and energetic looking room even more frantic. Very hard on the eyes and they would not really complement the terracotta in any case.

I can see from the photo you have at least one small child - believe me, you need something peaceful and neutral in a living room, not something that screams at you every time you open the door. (The kids will do enough of that!) Bright oranges and reds just wind kids up. I would paint the walls in lighter, more neutral shades (go for Egyptian Cotton and Natural Calico?) then introduce splashes of vivid colour in the forum of rugs, cushions, throws, etc. Then at least you can change them/tone it down easily. It is much more hassle toning down a bright flame/orange wall.

Apart from anything else your wallpaper already has a pattern on it - please resist the temptation to add any extra visual distraction.

If you are hell-bent on a red feature wall, then think about cranberry (the Laura Ashley one is nice) teamed with ivory or cream.

Your mirror is too big, btw. Lovely fireplace, but it is dwarfed by the mirror. Top heavy.

It is of course up to you - it's your home! - but you have suggested two extremely bright colours, either of which would make an already 'busy' and energetic looking room even more frantic. Very hard on the eyes and they would not really complement the terracotta in any case.

I can see from the photo you have at least one small child - believe me, you need something peaceful and neutral in a living room, not something that screams at you every time you open the door. (The kids will do enough of that!) Bright oranges and reds just wind kids up. I would paint the walls in lighter, more neutral shades (go for Egyptian Cotton and Natural Calico?) then introduce splashes of vivid colour in the forum of rugs, cushions, throws, etc. Then at least you can change them/tone it down easily. It is much more hassle toning down a bright flame/orange wall.

Apart from anything else your wallpaper already has a pattern on it - please resist the temptation to add any extra visual distraction.

If you are hell-bent on a red feature wall, then think about cranberry (the Laura Ashley one is nice) teamed with ivory or cream.

Your mirror is too big, btw. Lovely fireplace, but it is dwarfed by the mirror. Top heavy.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. To be honest i went for the terracota as keeping whites white is very difficult with 2 kids in the house! I am thinking of going with the subtle colour abit later once the kids have grown a little. For the time being i wanted to create a feature wall hence was thinking of those colours mentioned....

Sponsored Links
I take your point about whites showing the dirt, but to be honest if a wall has finger marks on it they will show more or less whatever the colour.

Suggestion 2 : Feature wall in Dulux Redcurrant Glory and other walls in Dulux Natural Hessian (not as pale as ivory), both in Endurance (extra tough matt emulsion, can be wiped clean).

If you leave three walls in the patterned terracotta, I cannot come up with a colour which will contrast or complement it other than a light one such as Almond White. It is a feature already, in that sense. You may as well leave it as it is.

I take your point about whites showing the dirt, but to be honest if a wall has finger marks on it they will show more or less whatever the colour.

Suggestion 2 : Feature wall in Dulux Redcurrant Glory and other walls in Dulux Natural Hessian (not as pale as ivory), both in Endurance (extra tough matt emulsion, can be wiped clean).

If you leave three walls in the patterned terracotta, I cannot come up with a colour which will contrast or complement it other than a light one such as Almond White. It is a feature already, in that sense. You may as well leave it as it is.

I know what you mean and did consider the main wall being painted in a subtle colour to bring out the feature wall. Given its only one wall that will have a loghter colour, keeping it clean wont be too diffucult. The ceiling and skating boards are subtle colour too. Keep these as they are or change to match the light colour planned or the feature wall?

I know what you mean and did consider the main wall being painted in a subtle colour to bring out the feature wall. Given its only one wall that will have a loghter colour, keeping it clean wont be too diffucult. The ceiling and skating boards are subtle colour too. Keep these as they are or change to match the light colour planned or the feature wall?

That must depend on what you mean by 'a subtle colour'.

What do you mean?

That must depend on what you mean by 'a subtle colour'.

What do you mean?

I mean a sublte colour such as Almond White for the main wall. This would mesan the three other walls would remain in Terracota. The ceiling and skirting boards are a shade of cream. Would it be worth doing those in pure brilliant white or the Almond White similar to the main wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back