First ever decorating project.... HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum so please be gentle.

I have moved into a house and am looking to decorate the bedroom first, have a lot of ideas but have not got a clue what to do.

I would like to have a feature wall on the wall where the headboard is and would like to try keep things neutral as the carpet is cream and the curtains are brown and gold. I have no idea how to match colours with wall paper, carpet or curtains I am a hopeless case.

With a feature wall is it better to go with dark wall paper and light paint on the walls?

I understand feature walls are meant to be the stand out point of the room, would having the colours all coordinating be wrong (the colour of the wall paper incorporated in the paint colour for the walls?)

Please could someone with any knowledge help me.

Many thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Hi there

I tend to shy away from advising customers about colours but i do get the impression that feature walls are increasingly becoming less popular.

i know that this is of little help to you but hopefully I shall now invoke the ire of the others who will come to your assistance.

Good luck.

ps if you have technical questions i will be able to help

opps is correct on not wanting to offer advice regarding colours or indeed shades, a feature wall as you put it has two distinct possibilities! It can make or break the decor of the room.

It will have great dependance on both the shape and size of the room, making that wall darker may have a tendancy to draw in the space and make the room look smaller. Whilst making it lighter will throw the room into a new perspective and hence make it look larger.

Confusing I know, but reality nonetheless. Would it be possible for you to post a pic of this room and I may just be able to offer you better advice.

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back