feckin door

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
A

attractivebrunette

So I've put up a huge MDF door to a fitted wardrobe.

Amazingly I've got it completely straight and level but when I open it wide it slowly swings back to the middle (below) and when I close it, it slowly swings open to the same position.

What I really want is for it to swing open fully on its own when I've opened it (I'll use magnets to keep it closed). So I guess I need to swap a couple of the hinges for spring to open ones. Maybe just a few until it swings open just enough on its own.

The hinges on there are the moment are flush hinges and the tube part just fits between the door and the wardrobe (below).

Where can I find sprint to open hinges that are flush and the same size as the ones I have on there now so I can replace the hinges one by one without taking the door off? ie the tube part of the hinge must be small enough to slip between the door and the frame.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hey I think I'd be happy with that as it is, so fit a magnetic catch top and bottom to keep it shut.....
Maybe MDF wasn't the best material choice for this application.
John :)

You have put the hinges on the wrong way and not level that's why it swings open.Self closing hinges [if that's what you mean] cannot be used with touch latches since one fights the other.

Yes, I'll put magnetic catches top and bottom :)

Why don't you think MDF was the best choice?

I was thinking of putting bigger hinges on so I might change them, but it has the same number of hinges as the old MDF doors that were the same size, except they were bi-fold. But the weight was the same.

How have I put hinges on the 'wrong' way? If you're suggesting the large part of the hinge should go on the frame you're wrong, as the 'barrel' won't be flush that way and won't fit.

And what do you mean when you say they're not level? The door as it is is completely level, though I imagine the frame might not be. How should I correct this?

The hinges are designed to fit on the edge of a door and frame and if level the door would not swing open.The hinges in centre picture are clearly out of line with each other which will cause them to pull against each other.

I was thinking of putting bigger hinges on so I might change them, but it has the same number of hinges as the old MDF doors that were the same size, except they were bi-fold. But the weight was the same.
The weight may be the same, but a wider door imposes more of an out of vertical load on the hinges. Try this; hold a 2 litrs full milk container in your hand but down by your side, bend the arm at the elbow so that the container is held at a forearm's length from the body, fully extend the arm and hold the container at arm's length with the arm straight. The milk weighs the same all the time, but which feels heavier?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back