Feed and Expansion Position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly may I say that I have had 3 heating engineers out to give me a quote to sort out my central heating / hot water system but none have bothered to send a quotation / estimate to do the work necessary.

Hence why I am left to do these things myself.

Before the weekend just gone, the central heating worked fine but the hot water would only heat the cylinder with the central heating turned off and only the heating switched on. This meant running the boiler far longer than I wanted. Also, the expansion pipe was originally running up the outside of the house - lagged - but unsightly so I decided to bring it inside. This involved running a 22mm vent pipe up to the loft.

The last heating engineer suggested that I could combine the feed and expansion and this is what I have tried to do.

Since repositioning the vent the CH is fine but the HW does not circulate through the cylinder. The two port valve is working and open.

You will see from the photographs that my boiler installer installed the pump upside down so the flow goes through the boiler return. I believe that is not necessarily a problem.

The 15mm polypipe is the cold feed from the expansion tank. I put a gate valve on the expansion vent pipe so that I don't have to drain the system if I need to alter the feed and expansion pipes.

Can anybody help me get my Hot Water working again?

Sponsored Links
If you have combined feed and expansion you CANNOT have a gate valve on this pipe, if this gets accidently turned off and forgotten about your heating system is potentially a bomb ! Remove it.

Thanks Dan. It is only there until I know if I have put the feed and expansion in the right place. I will then remove it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back