Feed & Expansion tank in open vent CH system - pipe rout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an open vent CH system and want to know if the following is possible.

If you imagine the rads connected to a boiler in a central heating circuit round the house. As it is open vented there is a small header tank in the loft. There are three pipes entering this tank namely 1) the cold feed TO the tank from the mains cold water, 2) the vent from the radiator circuit and 3) the feed FROM the water in the tank to the radiator circuit.

Question... The vent pipe rises up from the highest point in the radiator circut and loops up over into the top of the small expansion tank.
Is there any reason why the cold water feed FROM the F&E tank cannot be linked into the vent pipe just under the said tank?

Sponsored Links
No, but it can cause problems when your re-filling a 'combined' open vent system.

Flooze

Ah yes, I can see that if the system was empty and turning the water back on the venting air would be battling to get out whilst the filling water was batting to get in down the same pipe. Unless there was an air bleed elsewhere that could be opened..... So it should work really....

Are there any regulations in the UK with regards vent pipes and feed pipes?

Sponsored Links
Can't spel - the word is ROUTE not rout.. Dooh!
And it looks like I cannot edit the topic title double dooh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back