Feeding electric shower with lukewarm water instead cold one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there guys.
I'm not a plumber so some advice your be appreciated.

I bought a house that has an electric shower installed that heats cold water. The hot water taps in bathroom are feed from hot water tank.

Ideally I would get rid of electric shower and install one that uses my hot water tank - but that would require adding a hot water pipe and ripping existing tiles.

Much easier for me would be to add a mixing valve to feed electric shower not with cold but lukewarm water. This way shower should use less electricity (and maybe even provide a better flow rate).

Any reasons why I should not do it?
Thanks for your time and help!

Sponsored Links
it won't work.
you can't add a mixer valve toa electric shower
you won't alter the elecy. with elecy showers the elements are on or off
it's the flow of water through the heater can that alters how hot they are not the elements changing temp
for the shower to be hot the flow is reduced by the flow stabilizer valve.

Yes that will do. You can set the blender to say 40 to 45C and see how it performs. Maybe setting the electric shower to a lower temp than 45C will do as it also as will be permanently off and only gas heated water coming through. You will have no control of the water temp in the shower though. The water must be high pressure. Then the elec shower is only a backup.

. with elecy showers the elements are on or off

Thats no longer the case with many of the latest showers!

They use triac control to modulate the power input to control the outlet water to within 1 °C.

Tony

Sponsored Links
one point missing, you have to have the right pressure for the shower to work e.g 1 bar wich is ten metres head

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back