Felt back carpets or 'what did the Belgians ever do for us'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Given the current pandemic and my need to prepare a child's bedroom I decided a DIY flooring was the only option. The cheapest option appeared to be a felt back carpet. I figured if it didn't go well I could call in a proper fitter and lay a quality carpet when restrictions are lifted.

There are a number of old threads about laying felt back carpet on underlay. They recommend a gripper product (Floorworks 007) which is essentially a gripper rod without spikes but a hook tape instead. The micro-hooks hold the felt back securely whereas spikes require a mesh backed carpet to hook into and will just tear felt back carpet. I figured an underlay would add a level of comfort to an otherwise basic floor covering.
IMG_20210127_163912020.jpg

I found online guides which indicate felt-back with the proper gripper is easily used by DIYers and basically blaming the Belgians for introducing felt-backs and undermining the carpet laying trade. My conclusion is they are right. I found the gripper but from only ONE online source unless I wanted to buy a mile of the stuff. A couple of carpet dealers told me they recommended using regular gripper with felt-backs which from what I can gather is a recipe for disaster.

I fashioned a simple tensioner from some 'spike' gripper I took up (felt back does not need to be stretched, merely tensioned). Laying the carpet was very easy - although I needed to raise the gripper by 3mm to align with the top of the underlay and use longer nails - why is it gripper only comes in one thickness (height) ?
IMG_20210126_102611692.jpg IMG_20210207_114522835.jpg

Conclusion: The carpet trade have little interest in providing gripper rods appropriate for the job. DIY with felt back is easy using the right gripper. The right gripper for felt-back is not the regular stuff and the proper stuff is hard to get/expensive for what it is. I had to buy almost twice as much as I needed for my job but figure I will be able to sell on my surplus easily. My only concern is the environmental afterlife of my polypropylene carpet when I eventually pull it up and ditch it although I note progress with the ISOPREP project which plans to recycle this material.
IMG_20210207_114440680.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Norb, I know it’s been a while since your post… I’m trying to source Floorworks FW007 gripper rods to install a flatweave stair runner. I haven’t found a lot of alternatives brand wise and distributor wise. Did you get yours at tradepriced.co.uk? They’re currently out it seems. Have you already offloaded your extras :) ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back