Felt Flashing on Pitched Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

During recent roof works to solve leaks (unsucessful and ongoing) the contractor added strips of felt under the bottoms tiles which laps into the gutter. The previous felt had rotted away and water was getting onto and rotting the facia boards.

I have noticed however that the felt over laps the tiles by several inches and pretty much reaches the bottom on the inside of the guttering. This means during even moderate rain the edge of the felt is immersed in the water running through the gutter. I am concerned that this will just lead to water tracking up the underneath of the felt and onto the facial boards

Before I take this up with the contractor can someone advise me how far this felt should extend pass the tiles / how far into the gutter it should lap.

Cheers

Sam

Sponsored Links
Cheers Noseall.

I have a good view from a window. of part of the felt/guttering on the lower level second elevation at the rear of the house. The felt there extends 2-3 inches past the edge of the leading tile and sits right down into the gutter. The contractor attended today to deal with another problem and I asked him about this. He said it was as should be and there would be no problems with it.

Should I worry.

I can post a photo if that would help.

it will probably lead to the felt rotting a little more quickly.

i don't think that water will 'track' or wick up the felt though.

we now tend to lay some 12" dpc along the eaves run prior to fixing the membrane. this is to deal with the inevitable rotting of the exposed eaves felt/roof membrane.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back