Felt roof flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DSC_0041.JPG DSC_0041.JPG DSC_0042.JPG DSC_0041.JPG DSC_0042.JPG Hi all,

Just had the old felt roof on window bay replaced which was at the end of its shelf life. It is torched on and the flashing fixed to the wall with flash band. Initially, I thought this was a short cut as it is just taped to the wall! The roofer is telling me its the most durable way as previously it was fitted with aluminium and lead is not needed. Can anyone tell me the 'correct' way to install the flashing or one which has the most longevity?

Sponsored Links
To me I’d have him back insisting on proper lead and that it’s cut into the mortar and lead sealed up. What you have will fail

Thanks dpsservices. He mentioned previously that lead flashing is not needed as it's a felt roof, is this correct or a palm off?

Total rubbish, You need a proper flashing in lead or one of the lead alternatives. Not FB
the felting looks iffy.. any more pictures

Sponsored Links
Nope no more pics, what do you mean the felt looks iffy?

rh hip area looks creased/bubbled up. i'm not a felter but there are a couple on here may comment more

Cheers datarebal. Any other experienced roofers have an opinion on this please?

Water runs down the wall, so Flashband simply stuck to the wall will fail and allow water to run behind it. You need something chased into the wall - either the roofing felt itself, or lead (or aluminium etc). A felt flashing can be inserted into a chase and torched down, then pointed with sand/cement. Lead should be held into the chase using lead wedges using a bolster or similar, then pointed with sand/cement.

If this guys using flash band then I am guessing you found him down the pub because that's just not a professional approach.

Thanks for the responses, thought as much, Total bodge job! How much of a job would it be to get the felt chased into the wall? Can a competent builder lay felt over the existing roof and tuck it into the wall? Does the sticky tape (lol) need to come off first or can peices of felt be laid over it and tucked in?

How much of a job would it be to get the felt chased into the wall? Can a competent builder lay felt over the existing roof and tuck it into the wall? Does the sticky tape (lol) need to come off first or can peices of felt be laid over it and tucked in?

Ideally strip the flashband off, but it won't matter too much if some remains. It'll probably come off easier if it's really cold (therefore a bit more brittle) since it's sticky gooey stuff.
When applying new felt flashings they're not tucked in at the top, but rather held into the chase by hand at the top while they're torched. The top few inches are torched from underneath first, and the flashing is formed from the top down, torching sections as you go. The bottom edge laps onto the existing felt.
It's not a big job but you might struggle to find someone to fix someone else's bodge job. It's only a couple/few hours job but it's a messy dirty one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back