Felt roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Over the weekend I have built a a timber roof and laid felt on it, I used a Wickes Roofing Felt adhesive and felt that was compatible for the adhesive. I assumed that the adhesive would stick like glue and this morning when I went up there to check it out I nearly slipped off the roof as the section of felt I was standing on slid down with my weight on it.

So I assumed it was down to the wood absorbing the adhesive, I went back to Wickes and got some more adhesive and felt and basically started again, this time I had a base coat of the adhesive on the wood so there was no chance of the wood absorbing the adhesive.

Some hours later I had another look at the roof and the felt still isn't stuck like I thought it would (like glue) its tacky but I wonder if I climb up there to fix some flashing will it slide down again.

Does anyone have any sugestions, should I be using nails as well?

Sponsored Links
when i refelted by shed i nailed it down.

short nails with big heads.

just wonderiong this felt you had, were you supposed to glue it down as some you heat with a blow lamp

the wrapper around the felt said suitable for use with Wickes roofing adhesive so I just glued it, I did buy some galv nails while I was in Wickes, cant remember what they are called but it said for use on roof tiles etc, if I bang a nail through the felt wont it leak or is that where the big head comes into it?

wrong nail.

the big head is to stop the felt tearing away, which it would if it were a small head.

my shed does leak but only at the window, perhaps i should put roofing felt over that.

I would suggest as its a house roof only a few nails.

they look just like the 4th one down clicky (only mine were dark grey, not black and white

Sponsored Links
wrong nail, I think it 13mm long galvonised with a big head, if thats wrong what do I need to get, this is also a shed - well concrete outbuilding, and I have refelted it twice over the weekend :cool:

they look just like the 4th one down clicky (only mine were dark grey, not black and white

oh well if its an out building use loads of them, no glue required

yeah mine look like that, didnt realy want to use nails just dont like the look of a roof with nails in it! If it has to be then it has to be. Cheers breeze

i can look out my back bed window and see shed roof, (about 15 feet away) i cant see the nails

There should be instructions on the paper wrapping aroung the felt. This basically says to use adhesive on edges and overlaps and 13mm shed felt nails on all edges. The adhesive takes ages to go off, as air can't get to it between felt and roof. Also it will become tacky whenever it gets sun on it.

If you were to nail the felt with short stubby nails (Clout Nails) then you would have to put a second layer over the top but this would have to be stuck down and no nails used to make it water tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back