Feltback Carpet and Underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at some new carpet and I noticed that one of the carpets I like was feltback which says it doesn't require underlay but can be used with it.

The underlay I have is probably 8 years old, could I use the feltback carpet with the existing underlay or should I remove it (and replace it).

I am looking to sell within the next 18 months, so not to bothered about the solution being short term.

Sponsored Links
Felt back is poor quality, carpet layers hate it as it does not stretch easily , more likely to tear.

Yeah I’d agree with that. Won’t stay on the grippers very well and will look worn out in a year

Sponsored Links
As above, though it's better without underlay.

I was doing a room up on the cheap, I had underlay left over, and my parents had a large offcut of carpet they bought as a temporary measure for there house they were having building work done on, so they gave me that.

It was fine for all of 10 minutes, with the felt sitting in top of 12mm underlay it pulled itself off the grippers whilst hoovering and will not re-attach. Luckily it's only a spare room, but it's still annoying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back