Female Shower Threaded Connector for Grohe Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our old shower mixer has started leaking, so purchased a new Grohe shower. To fix the mixer bar however, you're provided with the adapter below. Looking online, the instructions basically come down to "screwing it into the wall connector." The "issue" here though, is that my shower pipes are just that, a 15mm copper pipe with an olive stuck on it from the old mixer bar.

Does anyone know what type of connection I need to screw this into? I'm assuming i'm going to have to cut a bigger hole out of the tile somehow, and fit some sort of female compression fitting onto the pipe so that it then sits flush with the wall?

1693306692665.png

The online instructions go about as far as showing me this, but I have no clue what these are, or how I'm supposed to fit them in a tiled bathroom
1693306876099.png

Sponsored Links
Show us the current fixings.

The connections you have been supplied with are Z connectors, they allow for a certain amount of 'flexibility when it comes to pipe centres but need female connectors (end plate), securely fixed inside the wall

either this
1693308331212.png
......................... Or this
1693308291938.png

A better solution and more common now are are usually these fitting kits -
1693308412150.png
or something similar to this
1693308473204.png

Show us the current fixings.

The connections you have been supplied with are Z connectors, they allow for a certain amount of 'flexibility when it comes to pipe centres but need female connectors (end plate), securely fixed inside the wall

either this View attachment 312449......................... Or thisView attachment 312448

A better solution and more common now are are usually these fitting kits - View attachment 312450or something similar to thisView attachment 312451
Thanks. I'm not sure those fixing kits would work, as the Z connectors increase in size from 15mm, to what looks like 22mm, although they are currently already at 150mm centers.

View attachment 312450
Are these fixing kits available in a 15-22 female adapter? I wouldn't need the cover I dont think as it comes with one. This is the shower that was bought:

Thanks. I'm not sure those fixing kits would work, as the Z connectors increase in size from 15mm, to what looks like 22mm, although they are currently already at 150mm centers.
The female ends of the end plates are 1/2"BSP, the smaller end of the Z connectors fit into that, the larger ends are 3/4" BSP and are what the shower connectors fits onto.

Obviously your current pipework isn't suited at the moment, especially if they are already 150mm centres and just pipe tails (Pic would be good)

The fitting kits use a 15mm copper tail (needs a certain length) coming out from the wall, once the brass backing is attached to the wall and the threaded compression fitting end is tightened up (olive in the middle), the larger end is a 3/4" BSP which is what the shower fits onto (once the shroud is fitted).

Sponsored Links
The "issue" here though, is that my shower pipes are just that, a 15mm copper pipe with an olive stuck on it from the old mixer bar.
Whether the ones you have ordered will fit will really be down to how long the '15mm shower pipes' you have sticking out the wall, are just now once you get the olive off of them. As you can see from the tech drawings you'll need at least 22>23mm of clean pipe.

I think I'm looking at the wrong thing. As above, pics of your actual pipework would be good.

Whether the ones you have ordered will fit will really be down to how long the '15mm shower pipes' you have sticking out the wall, are just now once you get the olive off of them. As you can see from the tech drawings you'll need at least 22>23mm of clean pipe.
Yea getting the olive off them is going to be the tricky part. Right now I've got 30-40mm sticking out the , but if I can't get the olive off and cut the pipe, I'm not left with enough pipe.

Is it possible to remove the olive without damaging or cutting the pipe? Hacksaw on it and pilers to pull it off maybe? Thinking ring stuck on a finger technique

if it won't twist off using a pair of grips/pliers then if you cut at 45 degree's to the pipe, 4/5's of the way through the olive and then use a plain screwdriver to 'snap' it the rest of the way. Careful not to start cutting into the pipe itself.

As suggested though, if the olive has been excessively overtightened then that can 'neck' the pipe and that can be a real problem for a new fitting to seal on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back