fittings for mixer shower after tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I need some advice regarding fittings for a mixer shower I intend to have installed after my tiling is done. At the moment I have a hot and cold 15mm pipe (from my combi) sticking out through the wall and they are 150mm apart and pretty close to level (+-5mm). If I need to alter them I would like it done before tiling, so I can attach a mixer shower afterwards. I've not chosen the exact shower yet, as I'm waiting on a friend who said they could get hold of a good one at a reduced price. It will likely be a Grohe or Hansgrohe and have a rainshower fitting overhead.

I should have fitted a shower plate before plastering, but didn't know about them at the time. I'm pretty sure that whatever kind of shower I have installed will need a thread to screw a nut onto and that a pipe alone is no use. I would have to break the finished tile and dig out enough wall to fit a compression of some sort. Years ago I fitted a Grohe bar shower and had to dig out my old wall for the s union adapter. As tiling is yet to be done I can fix it so the finished tile won't get ruined. I need advice on what fitting I should put onto each pipe and roughly how much should I have sticking out beyond the finished tile?

(I am thinking of removing some plasterboard and fitting a good quality S union onto the pipe and having it stick out around 20mm beyond the tile, assuming adhesive and tile will be 20mm on top of the plasterboard. How does that sound? Do both Grohe and Hansgrohe always have a standard fitting that screws onto a 3/4 thread?)

Any help and advice would be hugely appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard and shower are mutually exclusive terms. When the grout cracks , as it will, the plasterboard gets wet and the tiles fall off.
Apart from that, you need the installation instructions for the exact model of valve assembly that you intend to instal. ie horse before cart.

Buy an easy fix shower kit. Fit most bar showers. No need to dig the wall out as the joint is afteer the tile

Screenshot_20160913-170728.png

Sponsored Links
+1
Just remember to get your tiler to cut the tiles as close as possible to the pipe, within a couple of mill if possible, makes it much easier to drill the tiles and secure those fittings properly .... oh and shows how good a tiler he is :sneaky:

Sorry keep saying plasterboard, but its actually Orbry insulated tilebacker board 10mm. So, if I get an easy fix/fast fix bracket that mounts onto the tile, won't that make the shower stick out from the wall? I kind of like the kind of shelf-type showers you get in hotels (put your shampoo on top!) and the friend who gets them (removed by customers who want a replacement) says they have a hansgrohe raindance select shower. Here's a guide I got from their websiteCapture.PNG and they seem to use a thread that's embedded behind/level with the tile and as the tiles are yet to be installed, will it be better to remove some board and fit something so the thread is level with the tile and enough space to screw the shower to?

Would just like to say that IMO using plasterboard is not an issue when it comes to showers. As long as it is sealed correctly then plasterboard is as good a medium to use as any.

That's what tanking is all about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back