Fence and trellis post repair

1 Nov 2022
Reaction score
United Kingdom
So my fence is leaning. My neightbour says he can replace the post and concrete it in. I've measured the post, it's 6ft (1.8m) in height. Can you buy them with the holes in to support the fence or do these need to be made yourself?

Also can you get the above and trelis deleivered to the house? I'm hoping B & Q or Wickes do such a thing?
I'm looking for some more dense trelis for more privacy, about 6ft in height no more than 9ft wide.
Fence Post.JPG
Sponsored Links
Wooden posts are in the habit of going rotten and snapping off near the ground. If you or your neighbour, are going to the trouble of digging a hole and concreting in a replacement, I strongly recommend either a concrete post (which is very heavy unless you have two burly men) or just a concrete spur (much lighter) which you can bolt a wooden post to. You might even be able to saw off the bottom of your old post and use it again.

If you dislike the look of grey concrete you can use dark brown masonry paint to blend it in with the fence.

Metal repair sockets are not as good and do not reliably hold the post upright.
I haven't seen posts with holes like this in place you would have to drill out and finish with a chisel.

Or you could repair with concrete repair spur and bolt to the existing posts.

Yes, Wikes maybe do this but probably minimum order for bulky items. I would seek out a local specialist (ask a Facebook question on local group), and you can go around and see the quality of the items you need first.
You can carry the spur in the boot of a car.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local