Replacing fence with a larger size but using smaller posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I’ve got standard concrete posts that accommodate approx 1.8m high fences which need replacing, can I still buy larger fences which stick over the top of the concrete posts or will they look really bad and weaken the structure due to lack of support on the sides?

I know a trellis is also an option but I need to increase the height for privacy since we built a GF bedroom extension in which the bathroom window when opens directly overlooks the neighbour’s garden.

Sponsored Links
Worth remembering that if you exceed 2m height then you need planning permission.

To answer your question - putting panels in that are higher than the posts will look daft.

Yes, thanks aware of the pp rules re height.
What if the same size posts were used by trellis increasing the height of the fence. Can the trellis be correctly supported? How are the supported, simply by screwing down to the top of the fence line?

Sponsored Links
We are on a slope. Next door's fence is 2 m high but as they are higher up they look over in to our garden. Can we put trellis on our own posts to go higher than their fence but it will be fixed on our land?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back