Extending fence posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SWMBO wants a trellis to the back fence, which is only 4ft tall panel fences and concrete posts.

The posts finish near the top of the fence panels so there’s nothing to slot into.

I’ve seen extenders which are U-channel shaped metal bars that can fixed to either side of a trellis and then slot into concrete posts:

680DDE4B-009A-4E81-8289-720CE5111571.jpeg 4C88436B-DBF6-40C5-8C9C-149788B9D619.jpeg

But then this leaves a gap. I’m thinking of getting a wooden H-slot fence post and cut to size.

I don’t want to remove/replace the fence so this is the solution I thought of.

Is there another way?

Sponsored Links
I bought thin planks of wood from Wickes and held both with three screws on each side. My posts are for 4ft fences but my fences are 6ft. It has been 3 years but the fences and the 'middlemen' are all happy and strong. You do have to mark and cut the 'middlemen' to sizes to match the heights.

Where I live (coastal) high panels in short posts would break or blow over in storms, but trellis will catch less wind.

Sponsored Links
You need a brick wall then :D

My latest version is horizontal decking boards, some spanning three posts to add rigidity. Rather heavy. I may add guys. I notice my neighbour has been heaping soil to raise the level against my concrete gravel boards. Some of his trees have blown over.

I do have a brick wall as well. Some stretches near me have blown over in the last couple of years.

SWMBO wants a trellis to the back fence, which is only 4ft tall panel fences and concrete posts.

The posts finish near the top of the fence panels so there’s nothing to slot into.

I’ve seen extenders which are U-channel shaped metal bars that can fixed to either side of a trellis and then slot into concrete posts:

View attachment 235984 View attachment 235985

But then this leaves a gap. I’m thinking of getting a wooden H-slot fence post and cut to size.

I don’t want to remove/replace the fence so this is the solution I thought of.

Is there another way?
It would be good if the H-Shape Post hides that unsightly metal

How do you attach the metal to the existing concrete posts, not sure how succesful drilling and plugging it will be, sods law says you will hit the rebar in the middle, and if you drill too close to the edge the plug will probably snap a it off
Probably best to fix the metal plate to the wood of the existing.

good luck

You could paint the metal to match the timber stain

And the concrete posts, if you want.

How do you attach the metal to the existing concrete posts
I *think* I’m supposed to lift the fence panel up a bit and screw into the end of the fence panel. Even if I can’t, the bracket is supposed to slot onto end of the fence which might be enough to hold it in place.

You could paint the metal to match the timber stain. And the concrete posts, if you want.
Yes was thinking of painting it either similar to the fence panels (grey) or a contrasting colour (eg black or maybe white). I’ve also seen fence post covers which slot over the fence post so if I bought ones long enough it would hide everything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back