Making Fence Privacy Higher - What will work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a fence and I also have a trellis above it but I need to make the fence higher still.

I want this done for privacy issues.

Is there something I can put on the trellis which can not only cover the trellis but sticks up above the trellis so that it gives me protection up to the height I need.

I would imagine something rigid that has the capability to stay straight.

Any ideas?

JH

Sponsored Links
how high are you talking? how high is the existing fence/trellis?

There are limits on how high a fence/wall you can have under PD (2m away from a highway I think), though trees etc are generally not controlled.

how high are you talking? how high is the existing fence/trellis?

There are limits on how high a fence/wall you can have under PD (2m away from a highway I think), though trees etc are generally not controlled.

The top of the trellis is currently 8-9 feet from the ground.

The fence backs onto an alleyway and is away from the main road.

I removed the trees that were in front of the fence coz I wanna build something in that area.

What can I do above the trellis for privacy?

JH

Garden Centres/DIY Sheds sell rolls of privacy screening made of bamboo, rushes, etc. or some type of fabric.
But I doubt if these would hold up to much wind if poking up above fence without a stronger framework.
If you did extend upwards, is anyone likely to object (eg the people you want privacy from)? If no-one objects then you might get away with it although you could be forced to take it down.
How much higher are you trying to go?

Sponsored Links
You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence.

If it's a party fence 2m may be the max.

Thanks, I'll give this roll a try. Any idea what it's called?

JH

The top of the trellis is currently 8-9 feet from the ground.

The fence backs onto an alleyway and is away from the main road.

I removed the trees that were in front of the fence coz I wanna build something in that area.

What can I do above the trellis for privacy?

JH

you need to be really careful here if you make it higher if it is already higher than permitted drawing attention by going higher may require you to drop down to 6ft7" thus loosing 2ft in height

does anybody else have fence your height or higher ??

It was this high when I moved in over 2 years ago. I'm the end house so don't know if others have it too.

thinking about it
privacy 8ft how many giants are in your area :eek: :eek:

assuming its for security rather than go higher make more flimsy so it will break at a persons weight and grow thorny plants through it

There are a row of houses on the adjacent road, all of which can see through from their top windows.

you are not entitled to privacy by extending a wall or fence in that instance and will never get permission i am afraid

you are not entitled to privacy by extending a wall or fence in that instance and will never get permission i am afraid

Don't need to extend it. Just need some type of greenery that can project upwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back