Curious Planning Laws for Fences, Trellis and Pergolas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've been reading about the planning laws for fences, trellis and pergolas and just wondered if I am understanding this right...

At the moment I have a 6 foot garden fence and for privacy have attached a 1 foot trellis to the top. Strictly speaking this is not within planning laws since they state a fence should be no more than 2 metres (6ft 6"), and so my fence is about 6 inches too high. I presume this won't cause a problem unless a neighbour complains to the council...

However, if I erected a trellis screen just behind the fence, or built a pergola and grew climbing plants up it, this could be up to 2.5 metres (8ft 2") tall and that would be fine...

So essentially you can get around the 2 metre limit on boundary fences by build a higher structure just behind on the basis that it is an ornamental garden feature or plant support?

Thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back