Advice - Fitting trellis to top of garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Need some advice with fitting trellis.

This is my garden below, as you can see I have bungalows behind me and the garden wall isn't quite high enough to give full privacy.
My house ground floor is a foot higher than where this picture was taken from so we can currently see into eachothers properties.

I'd like to add the below, 30cm high trellis along the wall.

The wall is double brick thickness and is mine, overall height will remain below the legal height etc.
Wall is 15 years old.

I seem to have 3 options but don't know which to go for.....

Option 1. Lay a 10cm x 10cm timber batten/fence post across the top of the wall and drill that into the top of the wall.
Then attach trellis to the front side of the batten
http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/542003

Option 2. Attach a batten horizontally to the side of the wall facing me. It would only be attached to that top layer of bricks though due to the lip that exists on the wall.
Trellis would then be attached to that batten.

Option 3. Attach verticle battens going down the wall, these will go down the wall approx 30cm, and above the wall 30cm. Trellis will then attach to the top 30cm of the battens.

IMG_1285_zps66775842.jpg

Trellis 30cm high

9791eeee-f515-4eaa-b23c-86c2c6b3cf1a_zpsa74318dd.jpg

Personally I think option 1 might be best, but not sure if it's a good idea basically attaching a wooden fence post to the top of the wall horizontally

Sponsored Links
Are you paying to have them freighted from Canada? I've looked for a UK distributor and the only one I can find is owned by a t-shirt printing company, mobile phone number only, no physical address, registered at an accountant's office in Swindon. I don't think I'd buy from them :eek:

Yuuuup. I'm going with the t-shirt co. I guess he has shipped a container over and built a website. Going to order just one first to limit risk and will report back.

Wish me luck.

Sponsored Links
There is an alternative which has worked really well for me. Exactly the same situation as you face.

I drilled approx 12 inches deep into the top of the wall at appropriate spaces for the trellis. Big hole. approx 30mm dia holes. I used an SDS drill.

Then, I hoovered out the hole I'd created to remove the brick dust. Copper pipe on the end of a hoover to get the suction down the hole.

I then bought some square aluminium box section lengths (25mm) approx 30 inches long. This left approx 18 inches above the wall, which is what i needed for the trellis.

I then glued the aluminium box section into each of the holes using Fischer Resin, see here

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-polyester-styrene-free-resin-p-380ml/42772

This went off quite quickly, so I held in place with adjustable grips, and checked with a spirit level to keep it perfectly vertical.

The resin perfectly sealed the hole around the aluminum section at the top of the brick so there is no water ingress. Used a rag to wipe off excess. Nasty resin can burn your hands. I then put a plastic bung into the top of the box section when the resin was set. You can buy these off ebay cheaply.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-or-2..._Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item4862375362

To fit the trellis to the aluminium posts just required a metal bracket bolted into the aluminium section. The trellis was fixed approx 20mm off the of the wall, so that the trellis never sits in water - to stop it rotting.

The trellis has been up for 10 years now, with no sign of anything falling apart. I 'painted' the aluminium with wood stain to hide the 'metal look'.

Highly recommended and aesthetically really pleasing as there is essentially no visible fixing to the top of the wall.

Cheers, hope this helps

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I've just ordered a single trial titan post anchor. The site uses PayPal so even though there is only a mobile number and no address there is some financial protection. If this sample is OK I'll be order a dozen more. Will report back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back