Creating privacy behind fence / trellis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I’m after some advice please

Neighbour Behind me had a big tree which offered some nice scenary before but now cut down

What can I do to get some “green” back?

Ideally don’t want to grow anything at back myself as I have decking and garden is small enough anyway

It’s a private road behind me for the other houses but maybe a basket of long tall plants behind my
Fence?

Or stick artificial trellis behind my own trellis?

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 96A1FB08-89BF-43F5-AAF8-6F396C38B261.png
    96A1FB08-89BF-43F5-AAF8-6F396C38B261.png
    1 MB · Views: 114
  • 190D3C69-F8CF-45D0-9A98-61684EEBA0FB.jpeg
    190D3C69-F8CF-45D0-9A98-61684EEBA0FB.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 4BEDBED3-B2D7-46E1-B71F-CAB1B0F46CB8.jpeg
    4BEDBED3-B2D7-46E1-B71F-CAB1B0F46CB8.jpeg
    469.7 KB · Views: 111
Sponsored Links
You can grow something on your trellis to get some green back, but it's not going to grow much higher than the trellis already is. You could go with a taller trellis but it's going to look a bit odd [opinions may vary].
You might be able to get some fast-growing bamboo going but it's going to need a pretty hefty container/pot if it's going to be tall enough to be useful for you .

I am not getting the privacy aspect of things here, you're overlooked from the sides, not the back, and the tree was at the back. But I'm not where you are, so I don't know.

If you liked looking at a tree, plant a tree. If you plant it in your garden, only you can take it away again.

Thanks for reply!

I understand your points

Do you know if it’s possible to get like a planter style box to hang at the back of my fence
And then from this have something grow around 1m high?

The trellis is 60cm

So it covers the gaps in trellis and also gives that height in after too?

can I possibly wedge this between my fence and trellis and grow something on it about 1m tall? (At the back of my fence)

Sponsored Links
Going to add weight to the fence then. Not something i would suggest.

How about some BIG containers with a tree in each? Fruit tree or other?

you use the term "behind my fence "
i assume you mean to replicate as in as before ??
general comment you can only attach to the fence iff its yours without permission
you can only deliberately use land or space [behind fence ] if its yours or with permission
in general overhanging plants without roots or stems overhanging off your land is possible annoyance rather than possible trespass iff you plant off your land

Going to add weight to the fence then. Not something i would suggest.

How about some BIG containers with a tree in each? Fruit tree or other?
Can you please show me a link or a pic of what a big container looks like exactly?

The decking area is already quite tight when we use the rattan cube furniture that’s why I ask…

you use the term "behind my fence "
i assume you mean to replicate as in as before ??
general comment you can only attach to the fence iff its yours without permission
you can only deliberately use land or space [behind fence ] if its yours or with permission
in general overhanging plants without roots or stems overhanging off your land is possible annoyance rather than possible trespass iff you plant off your land
Yes to replicate some green behind my fence and also hide his new shed

The fence is mine - nobody really uses private lane tbh sure it’s fine if some tall plants hang off the back….is it practical is the question

What plants could I even grow that would grow tall and narrow and not weight a lot….?

I really think you'll need to bite the bullet - put a planter in the corner of your patio and plant a climber in it. You could increase the height of your trellis once the climber gets going.
Hanging a planter off the back of a fence will likely rip the fence down, dry out and die, and get in people's way...

If it was a solid masonry wall you might stand a chance of hanging a container off it that was large enough, to grow something large enough, to give you the screening you're after. The weight of the container and the extra wind loading of something tall would surely rip your fence down.
By container, I meant quite a large planter. This is the idea:

You will want to keep the bottom of the container raised off your deck with feet or bricks otherwise you run the risk of the deck rotting where it stays damp permanently.

Then in a couple of years, you can post another thread asking the same question ;)

Extend the decking out the front by 1m and remove 1m from the back, and then you have a good space to put some plants in the ground.
All you will lose is 1m of lawn which is brown anyway....
The rest of the garden could do with a few plants aswell, looks kinda sparse

Extend the decking out the front by 1m and remove 1m from the back, and then you have a good space to put some plants in the ground.
All you will lose is 1m of lawn which is brown anyway....
The rest of the garden could do with a few plants aswell, looks kinda sparse
+1

You can repurpose old metal filing cabinets as deep planters, sure they may not last decades but a coat of paint and they can be found as cheap as chips or free off marketplace.

A garden, says he. Filing cabinet planters. Slabs. Extend the decking!:cry: FFS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back