fence etiqette?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my neighbours to the right ( looking at the front of the house from the street ) have a missing fence panel between me and them..
it's the side that they are responsible for but they haven't replaced it in over 9 months..

what are the "rules" regarding me replacing it?
can I just drop in a new ( or second hand ) panel without their permission?
assuming that I foot the bill for it I can't really see as they would mind...

Sponsored Links
no not really it there fence on there land

why not say youve found a spare fence panel that would fit
and if they wanted they will be doing you a favor if you can put it in :D ;)

say to them your thinking of getting a dog and if it gets in there garden and eaves presents then thats there problem, :LOL:

Sponsored Links
say to them your thinking of getting a dog and if it gets in there garden and eaves presents then thats there problem, :LOL:
A nice idea, but actually the problem would be the OPs.

Big-all's advice is good. Speak to the neighbour and ask if they would mind you fitting a matching panel at your expense. It would be very odd for them to say "no".

Also, when you make the statement of their ownership of the fence are you absolutely sure? What is written on a registered plan means nothing on the ground. For example, your predecessor may have errected a fence alongside the boundary as they wanted their own fence, and the original fence/feature has since been removed. Even if the fence does belong to the neighbour they may not realise it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back