Fence Gate question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope everyone in well.

I built this fence around 2 years ago and left a gap as we had 3 cars at the time and to allow one to park on the patio area.

My thinking was to attach a 4x4 post to the house with recessed concrete screws, add adjustable hinges and build (or buy) a Gate to span the circa. 2.4m gap and clad to look like the fence and for it to attach to the existing fence with a hinge.

Given the fence is 1.7m high the gate would need to be bespoke made to fit or buy a 2.4m gate and add extension pieces to the top and bottom to allow the cladding to match with the existing fence.

Or an alternative is just to fence it rather than integrate a gate...

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20230618_121335.jpg
    20230618_121335.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230618_121339.jpg
    20230618_121339.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 16870869632533371121529383220661.jpg
    16870869632533371121529383220661.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
I just wonder about the structure of the house and whether or not it will carry such a load on concrete screws (or any other screws for that matter). TBH I think you would be better off having a smaller width gate (or even two smaller gates) if possible, simply because of the weight. Unless the gate and its' supports are substantial it is going to droop in relatively short order

For such a large single gate I think you'll need a substantial mortise and tenoned, diagonally braced framework (3 to 4in thick, a bit like a field gate but without the bars). Something like a turned heel gate wigh a long steel tension strap would be better than a plain gate, together with extra long forged strap hinges and cast or forged hooks (available from agricultural fence and gate suppliers). No chance of adjustment with those hinges, however, other than by packing with steel washers

If the gate post were free standing I'd be looking at 6 x 6in or even bigger for such a gate, buried quite a distance into the ground with a lot of concrete around it, so maybe 6 x 3in for a wall plate, however the loads on it would possibly encourage me to use either Rawlbolts or resin anchors over smaller screws, always assuming that the wall is capable of taking the load

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for the reply, i can see what you are saying about the weight. I think I'll go for two smaller gates then, one set off the wall and one set off the post of the existing fence.

Sponsored Links
You could also have a jockey wheel on the bottom corner of the gate so that the gate is supported/rolling on the floor.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back