Fence Leaning. Uncertain of Responsibility.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaning fence. Neighbours seem to think this is my responsibility and have asked me to get it done. I have nothing of it on my deeds. In fact no boundary responsibility is marked on them.

Do I accept this? Is it cheeky to ask them to split the cost (given that they may be right about responsibility but haven't proved anything? Is there any point replacing now? We currently have high winds and the fence is swaying. I'd rather leave till summer.

I have offered to take it down temporarily as they are old and may not be able to.

They have a pristine garden where as ours ... well let's say it's a work in progress.

Sponsored Links
Start by asking to go half each but we just paid to have ours done even though it's supposed to be shared cost. Why fall out over a fence. Some people are just too tight

Question is do you want a fence there? And can you afford it? If so replace it and you can always ask if they're happy to pay half, although the good thing about owning it outright is you can decide to change it or knock it down for any reason. If you own it half half everything has to be agreed.
If you are not bothered and they think it's your fence then just leave it down. They can ask all they like but they can't make you fence your land (assuming there's no separate agreement between you about the fences)

Sponsored Links
I had this issue of ownership after the last big storm.

I thought it was a shared fence as my post end was connected to his fence run....

He thought different and he had already waved the deeds that apparently exist in front of me the Minute I went round to let them know It was down.

Overall I lost three panels, I sourced the materials on the day of the storm and took my time in doing it (properly), I went with far more effective concrete posts/boards. I've not rushed it and done it in my own time rather than paying someone in demand at 200 quid a day probably at the current post winter rate. Also, I've got more to do at some point on another part of the house.

Im glad I paid my way as I could see why the posts were rotted, the **** has a raised patio of 150mm with a perforated drain pipe running along it and in the footings of the posts.

The only issue with the job was getting the posts and concrete out, make sure you get a decent breaker/kango.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back