Fence or patio first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi… my back garden requires 2 new lines fencing and a patio laying. Down two sides of the patio, against the two sides of fencing I’m wanting some raised beds… my question is this:

Do I get the patio & raised beds done before the fencing is replaced or does the new fencing need to be done first? Does it matter? Is it just about access? (With the fences in situ I only have side gate access, steps and a path up the side of the house).

I can’t afford to get both fence and patio done at the same time, therefore what order is quite important and I’d like to know what I might expect to hear from trades when I start getting quotes. Thanks very much in advance… x

Sponsored Links
It wasn’t obvious hence my question but thanks for the input ;)

Given scant detail on location and size of patio, it seemed obvious to do the fencing first as that will prevent anyone just wandering through your property.

Sponsored Links
Also sinking / concreting fence posts in the ground could be very damaging to a patio and raised beds - so the posts need t be done first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back