Fence painting over green algae?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I`m currently having a wooden fence painted by the council (leaseholder and have no choice :evil: and gonna cost me £586!! )
The fence has heavy green algae as its shaded and all the guys are doing is basically wiping the area with a rag before applying Fenctone paint.

Surely they would need to kill the algae first (bleach) and powerwash it off?

I spoke to the guys and their only doing what they`ve been told do and that they dont need to kill/remove the algae because they are using Fencetone.

any advice much appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Found this on their website:

Solignum Fencetone AQ Concentrated Water Based Treatment

Solignum Fencetone AQ is a concentrated water based fencing treatment, providing a water repellent finish.
Mixing ratio: 1 part concentrate to 2 parts clean water = 15 litres of treatment.
Coverage rate is approx 8 - 12 m2 per litre.
It is an advanced decorative treatment which will enhance the colour of garden woodwork and furniture.
Fencetone AQ provides a lasting coloured treatment for fences, gates, sheds and playground equipment which resists green algae and natural greying.
It can be applied to brand new or old wood and can be readily used over weathered creosoted timbers.
Solignum Fencetone AQ is available in 2 colours.

Andy

I think painting over algae is just a very lazy option. I would prefer to wash it off with a fungicidal wash prior to any paint.

Thanks for info and taking the time to find that info.

Had a look at that website but it doesnt say anything about preparation.
ie. whether IT will kill the algae or the algae must be killed first..

I think painting over algae is just a very lazy option. I would prefer to wash it off with a fungicidal wash prior to any paint.
I agree 100%

Think I`ll email the actual paint company..
Also contact the council as these are contractors.
Thanks again for the replies.. Kev

Sponsored Links
What the so called painters are doing is wrong, Fencetone is in itself a good product and has both the capability to reduce and even stave off algae attack.

The fly in the buttermilk is that it is being applied over live spores, this simply wont work. The algae needs to be removed and treated with only an anti fungicidal wash prior to application, in your circumstance bleach should not be a consideration.

Dec

I've tried power washing my fence, back to bare wood, letting it dry, then painting with Ronseal Fence Paint, all 250 meters of it, after three months the algae was back, nearly a £100 pound of paint with a five year guarantee, so tell me what is the answer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back