Fence panels smaller than gravel boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. We have had some concrete posts (slotted type), gravel boards and fence panels. My dad and hubby have put them together today but have hit a problem. The fence panels are smaller than the gravels boards and fall out of the concrete post slots! Is there a way around this. The only thing we can think of is to plant some tanalised wood down the side of the panels to 'pad' them out and make them a snug fit. The posts are straight and not running out. Any ideas welcome.

Sponsored Links
1) make the gravel boards smaller? (probably not)

2) move the posts closer (probbly not)

3) add something to the edge of the fence panels (may be)

4) add brackets the the posts (may be)

5) combination of any the above (yes)

I dont like slot in panels, a few people i have met have had them had varying problems.

when wet expand and pop out

when windy get blown out

when very hot fall out

in all cases easy to put back, panels not damaged

since you now have them i would opt for 3 & 4 but others may have different opinion

Few of these might help.

Widen the fence with some batten seems the sensible option.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks. We had them off a friend in the business. The gravel boards are concrete. I should'nt complain too much as he did them at a really good price and the panels are the ones good on both sides that you see in the catalouges. My dad and hubby put them together.

We still have more to get and do so will probably shorten the gravel boards next time. My dad has a grinder so should be OK.

I would have prefered wooden posts but hubby says he is never moving again so when the panels go he can replace them easily. :rolleyes:

We had concrete gravel boards as the ground has to be levelled out and up. The garden is a building site at the moment due to us doing an extension.

I would have prefered wooden posts but hubby says he is never moving again so when the panels go he can replace them easily.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :LOL:

your husband is very wise to choose concrete posts and gravel boards.

When wooden posts rot and break off it is very hard work to deal with the old lump of concrete in the ground.

Thermo will explain how to make concrete visually blend in with the stained timber ;)

yes rip it out and use 4 x 4 timber posts. Now have you seen the picture of my daliahs john?

oh and by the way when he does come to change the panels cover your ears for all the swearing that will go on!

you can paint the concrete with dark brown masonry paint. I have some pics but they upset Thermo because they make him jealous :LOL:

I have a feeling that he likes wooden posts because they guarantee him regular work replacing them when they go rotten and break off ;)

i just think timber looks so much better than concrete. concrete posts will spall and fail, and they are harder to replace panels in than timber. A decent timber post will last 3-4 times the amount of time john says.

anyway just for you john

SV500949.jpg

nah nah na na nah! :LOL:

thermo, three questions

1) is that a little acer to the right of your dahlia?
2) if so what variety please ;)
3) the red spiky plant to rear left, what's it called?

Thanks

Pat

1:- yes it is
2:- as i recall its bloomberg or similar but i will find out
3:- the spikey plant is a cordyline australis pupurea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back