Fence posts leaning over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I hope you can help me with this.

I built a six foot fence a week ago, got out of bed this morning and noticed that three posts have leaned forwards. 50 mph winds during the night. Upon further inspection the post mix is loose from the soil. The post is still solid in the mix. I hope that makes sense.

I dug one and a half spades down and the same around the post. I used one and a half bags of post fix per post. Was this enough for a six feet fence.

Is there anyway I can repair it without taking out the whole concrete base. The fence is only leaning over slightly. I have looke on the net for ideas without success.

Sponsored Links
you need to go down 2 feet for a 6 feet high fence. It sounds like either you have not gone down deep enough or you have dug holes that are too large, and wider at the top than the bottom, so it acts like a ball and socket joint (if that makes sense)

The only way to fix it is to redo it

once it has moved the earth round the lump is loose and you will have to dig out the loose stuff and start again. a deep hole is better than a wide hole unless the soil is weak.

I live on the coast and spotted some posts starting to move, I was able to fix it by digging out to the leeward side of the post and putting in a wider concrete fill to brace the existing lump.

Concrete gravel boards also seem to help. you can include them in the top of the concrete infill round the posts and let then into the ground an inch or two and mortar them into the slot of the concrete post

Thanks for the responses guys.

I am going to have to take the posts out and start again :mad: Its the fact that I have only just put it up that annoys me.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
try digging out around it, using house bricks around the post to sure it up then adding some cement to fix the bricks in place......worked on mine :D

just do it properly. youre in an exposed position. a fence should stand up to more than 50mph winds, so it will do it again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back