Fence question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My council property neighbour does not bother replacing their already damaged fences.
Whenever it's windy, they fall in my garden. I then fix them as much as I can with some nails and then slot them back. It's got to a stage where they are not worth repairing anymore. I have spoken to them and they merely realigned their shabby fences. I really don't want to buy new fences for them!

What would be the easiest way to fix up some shabby fences?

I also require some wooden slats ( the stuff that fences are made of ) to place in between fences for privacy and also to hold fences together. What are these actually called and where can I buy them ? I would rather not order a whole fence and then strip it down.

Sponsored Links
My council property neighbour does not bother replacing their already damaged fences.
Whenever it's windy, they fall in my garden. I then fix them as much as I can with some nails and then slot them back. It's got to a stage where they are not worth repairing anymore. I have spoken to them and they merely realigned their shabby fences. I really don't want to buy new fences for them!

What would be the easiest way to fix up some shabby fences?

I also require some wooden slats ( the stuff that fences are made of ) to place in between fences for privacy and also to hold fences together. What are these actually called and where can I buy them ? I would rather not order a whole fence and then strip it down.
Feather board is the name for the slats. Wickes and probably all the DIY sheds sell them, or your local timber merchant for less.

If they're a council tennant then the council should be responsible for the fencing. Or have I got that wrong?

Photos of the mess that exists would be helpful for suggesting how to fix it.

Having looked at some pictures of feather board on Google, this seems to be the wood that borders the fence. I am actually after the wood in the middle of the fence - the really light one that warps eventually.

Sponsored Links
Same situation with our council neighbour. A couple of years of my patching up the fences for them to get so rotten I couldn't do it anymore. The council are responsible for the fences but have to get pretty firm with them as they will try to wiggle out of it as mine did for a year. My neighbour has a dog so I warned the council if the dog came into my garden, hurt any of us, killed our cat (it's a badly behaved dog) then I'd sue them for negligence! A bit cheeky I know but it worked, fences replaced within a week of my email :)

The Arris rails?

No no. I think it maybe this :
https://www.cocklestorm.com/garden-fencing/timber/fencing-components/thin-waney-board.html

I just need a thin wood I can screw easily and that would also need be ruined by the elements.

I do have a few more questions on this fence topic :
- What do you use to stop loose fences rattling? Pegs?
- If I want to reinforce the fences from the top, what is the flat rectangular steel plate thing called that has two holes on either sides ?
- How do you makes your fences last longer? Ronseal? Decking oil ? These look a bit expensive.

As stated earlier, if both properties are council owned then the council has an obligation to maintain the exterior of their property as well as certain interior fittings.
You should not be expected to keep patching up their fences for them. You will never get them to do anything as long as you are prepared to do it for them.

If this is your own house then have you considered fitting your own fence against their dilapidated one? Only problem with that is, once theirs has fell apart they will simply use yours as their new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back