Fence top trellis holding water = rot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

We've bought some trellis to soften up the top of the harsh 6ft fence and put some climbers on too.

I noticed that the bottom of the trellis has a channel. There's no drainage so I'd assume this means it'll collect sitting water and promote (eventual) rot?

Is this nothing to worry about? Should I simply add drainage holes? Or even fill it in? (ideally not with 11x 6ft panels to go up!)

2017-06-26_220522.png

Sponsored Links
If it's pressure treated and not in contact with soil, then it should last the usual 15 years that pressure treated timber is given.

It wouldn't hurt to put clear wood treatment in the channel then the end grain of the trellis will soak it up.

Sponsored Links
timber will only rot at around a constant 19% moisture content hence why sheds and fence posts rot round the back or at ground level because thats where its held at the correct level for weeks on end

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back