Fencing repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Hope I can describe my problem. I have down the side of my property a long, 20m+ closed board fence which borders on to 3 other gardens. The actual posts are on the neighbours side and behind the wooden fence is a chain link fence so very difficult to actually access the posts from the neighbours side. The fence is wobbly and is leaning quite a bit so I need to try and repair the posts from my side. Replacing the fence isn't an option due to cost. My question is, is it possible to remove some of the closed boards from my side to access the post itself and strengthen using either a post buddy or a concrete spur? Or any other recommendations. Many thanks

Attachments

• 161718220710379796807238270330.jpg
    161718220710379796807238270330.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
It's possible but not the easiest of tasks.
You will need to begin prising up the thick edge of some boards to create a gap. When the nails are visible under the board you can use a pad saw, fitted with a hacksaw blade, to cut through them. Once you have done this to 1 or 2 it will be much easier because then you can start working from the thin side, gently prising up where the nails are. Don't try to raise them too much at a time. Start at the top, raise it about 1/2" then move down to the next cross rail and do the same. Start slightly to the right of the post you want to repair and go past by a few boards to give yourself room to work.
Once you have repaired the post by your chosen method simply start re-affixing the boards in reverse order. Your last board will need to slotted under the first raised board and then this is tapped back down and secured with new nails.
As I said, not an easy task but perfectly do-able with patience.

Hi,

Thankyou so much for your detailed reply, much appreciated. I've nothing to lose so will give it a go. Don't think I can make it any worse. I'm not in any rush so yes will just take my time. Thanks again

Why don't you put the concrete spurs on the side that faces your garden, much easier to do?

Andy

Sponsored Links
Why don't you put the concrete spurs on the side that faces your garden, much easier to do?

Andy
Thankyou. Would that involve digging out the concrete in front first? Then just screw through the fence panel to the post? I'll be pretty much doing this myself (with hopefully a bit of help from my son)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back