Garden fence help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need some advice for my back garden. The fence in back garden is seriously damaged / rotten and in need of replacement. It is actually my neighbours fence but he has no intention of replacing it. He has. Erm saying for last two years he’s going to do it but I suspect he thinks it’s my fence for some reason. As you can see from picture his garden is about a foot higher than my garden. The fence sits up on his side.

I don’t mind replacing the fence at my cost. At least it will get done and that can be the end of it.

The problem I have is I want to keep as much land as possible. Even a few inches. I could erect new dance in my side but I would rather put the posts up on his side and have the nice side of fence showing on my side.

What can I do about the 1 foot if soil? Use gravel board or just hope fence boards will hold it back?

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Attachments

• F75A9403-0434-49E3-AAB5-F77C793FEF19.jpeg
    F75A9403-0434-49E3-AAB5-F77C793FEF19.jpeg
    553 KB · Views: 145
  • 135F2E33-45DC-4BB0-AC3C-1988710F5812.jpeg
    135F2E33-45DC-4BB0-AC3C-1988710F5812.jpeg
    522.5 KB · Views: 133
Sponsored Links
You can't put up your fence on his land w/o permission
But he can give you permission to do so.

If you put up a fence with concrete posts and gravel boards (12") then the fence won't have "sides" as the panels slide into grooves along the centre line. Just make sure that any overlap matches.

That way the fence is about 4" wide but requires a number of post holes about 10" square/round- which you could both share?

I was thinking of timber posts and boards (not panels) if it’s possible.

Would a gravel board hold back that soil or would I need something else first in front of gravel board?

I will ask for permission first, he’s not interested so I am anticipating zero issues from him if it’s at my cost.

timber posts and gravel boards will rot, so you'll have to do it again.

It will be much more difficult when there's a block of concrete in the ground where you want your replacement post to go.

Sponsored Links
Concrete posts, concrete gravel boards and drop in panels, job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back