Fensa regs utterly insane?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a leak in the bay window which I've now fixed but having pulled down most of the ceiling I've found just how bad the old window fitting was. Now here's my complaint. I can DIY install new windows in the same frame but to put in a new frame needs fensa certs or an inspection. Attached photo of the almost 1cm gap between the existing frame and the bay stonework. I don't think you could actually make that worse and the u value of the window is pretty much irrelevant given drafts like that coming through. So in terms of regs u value could be covered by just not allowing sale of windows that don't meet it and couldn't be to hard to put some exceptions in for windows that clearly don't need safety glass. Trying to do some renovations on a Victorian terrace it seems the renovation regs are actually making smaller improvements harder / pointless on older housing stock for DIY ( you know that 30% plus of houses). You either pay someone who could end up doing an equally shocking job to get a bit of paper or have the hassle of not having paper if you sell. I'm getting someone out to quote the windows tomorrow just wanted opinions. Is it worth doing DIY and paying for inspection or pay someone to do it?

Attachments

• IMG_2024-05-13-20-54-27-256.jpg
    IMG_2024-05-13-20-54-27-256.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Personally I think if you know you can do a good job, dealing with the "hassle" when you sell is the least worst option, which can be dealt with using an indemnity insurance. Or just put in a building control application for the window replacement, buy properly specced windows, and get it signed off at the end. On a big bay the BC fee will likely be less than the fitters labour.

It's nothing to do with the FENSA or any regulations, rather it's just poor quality work. Having regulations and standards and contractors keeping to them are different things.

Going via building control won't guarantee a better job either, as that inspection regime is limited.

Regarding doing the work yourself if you are qualified to do so and know the standard required, then yes there is an argument to support that.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back