FER Falcon problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem with an FER Falcon boiler, in CH mode. HW all ok.

The boiler starts up ok initially but after it goes into CH standby it will not re-ignite (it doesn't even seem to try). afetr a few minutes it locks out.

I would be gratefull for any help.

Sponsored Links
If it goes into an ignition lockout then it may well need a gas registered engineer to investigate.

It might well be a PCB fault though.

I suppose you could measure the sensor resistances first.

Tony

If it goes into an ignition lockout then it may well need a gas registered engineer to investigate.

It might well be a PCB fault though.

I suppose you could measure the sensor resistances first.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Which sensor should I check?

I am ok with the electrics but if it comes down to the gas side I will get somebody in. I have a wiring diagram, but would prefer a schematic showing the internal detail, but failing this any information would be appreciated.

N.

There are two temperature sensors, one on the DHW pipe and one on the CH flow pipe.

You should turn the boiler of for a couple of hours and the sensors should be the same and probably aboiut 10k at room temperature.

But its likely to be something combustion related.

As always you will need a competent boiler engineer not a gas qualified plumber who will just want to fit a new boiler.

Tony

Sponsored Links

The boiler starts up ok initially but after it goes into CH standby it will not re-ignite (it doesn't even seem to try). afetr a few minutes it locks out.

It won't try for about 3 minutes after the last heating or hw demand which probably accounts for that part of the problem.

Thats right but they dont usually just go into lockout after teh CH delay period.

I have encountered PCB faults where they just stay on the delay without coming back to CH ( unless the DHW is used ).

Probably an electrolytic on the PCB dried out.

Tony

It won't try for about 3 minutes after the last heating or hw demand which probably accounts for that part of the problem.

Yes that fits. After about 3 mins the red light (CH standy) goes out and the CH green light comes on. about another minute or so and the lock out light comes on.

N.

You sometimes get funny faults on these from the sensor connectors. Not sure if they come loose or get a bit dirty or corroded.
You can try undoing and redoing them a couple of times.

Thats right but they dont usually just go into lockout after teh CH delay period.

I have encountered PCB faults where they just stay on the delay without coming back to CH ( unless the DHW is used ).

Probably an electrolytic on the PCB dried out.

Tony

This sounds like it could be the problem.

I think, but will check, that CH works ok if HW is running. There were times where things worked fine but i didn.t work this through.

Needs a few more clarification checks = will go through tomorrow

Problem solved (I think).

I took all the plug leads off the two circuit boards and replacedc them just in case of high resistance connections.

I then checked the two sensors - HW= 9.5k CH = 6.6k, so possible future problem here - BUT the lead was disconnected from the CH sensor very poor connector THIS seems to be the problem, may happen again so I will sort out a better connection.

Thanks for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back