Ferolli combi boiler. Hot water working but no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an old Ferolli boiler (2003). I decided to put the heating back on this morning as I was a little chilly and needed some clothes drying! Unfortunately when turning the thermostat up, nothing happened. Eventually the boiler "wooshed" into life, made some noise and gurgled then swithed off again. I've tried a few times and this is all it does. Hot water is still working fine. The pressure bar is just over 1 and the lights are on as expected. It is nothing to do with the clock as this was disconnected a few years ago and have been using a honeywell thermostat instead which was working fine until now. It obviously hasn't been on since about May or June.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it firing up at all, or just running the pump? What model is it?

Thanks for the reply, yes I believe from the sound its making it is firing up..but then making some unusual noise and stopping again. So it never stays on long enough to heat the radiators, it's about 15 seconds.
It's olddd...the installation sticker says 2003. See images. Many Thanks
1b.jpg
1a.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hard to see the photo properly, manual mentions a summer mode, has this been checked? Could be external control.

That's quite an old one, I like old Ferrolis as they're easy to repair unlike the newer ones, so it's likely to be something fairly simple such as stuck pump as mentioned above.
You can remove the large slotted screw on the front of the pump and see if the rotor is spinning when heat called for, if not it may be new pump time.

The old F24 was similar to the Modena SE. Bi thermal heat exchanger so no diverter. Cold in to the main hex and HW out the other end. If the heating hasn’t been on for while then the pump is probably just needing a tap with a hammer. Another thing to check is the power plug going into the pump motor isn’t loose.

Chop it in. Your very lucky that you've got twenty more years than what was expected from those boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back