Ferroli 701 boiler not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
im new to this forum but was wanting some advice could you please help.

I have a Ferroli optimax 701 boiler and it has been getting slowly worse for over 5 months and now just wont work.

1. first problem was that the only way to get hot water was to leave the hot tap running and have the central heating on at (max temp) the same time and leave for 20 mins and then it would start working. It was a pain but at least i could get a bath. If i tapped the side of the boiler that would sometimes help too.

2. But now the pilot light just wont stay on i have to leave the central heating on over night and hope it will come on when i try again in the morning back for the last week i just cant get it started.

The fan kicks in after 20 secs if that helps.

I rang Ferroli and they said it would cost £130 to come out and look at it but cant afford this right now. I have been reading up and think it may be the PCB board which i can get a reconditioned one for £50.

Any help would be appriciated.

Many thanks Jenny xx

Sponsored Links
You should have called an engineer during the summer when we are less busy rather than waiting until our most busy time of the year.

Any competent engineer can fix your boiler and most will have all the parts required with them.

However, your boiler is old and many engineers will be suggesting that its replaced rather then repaired. Particularly as you have waited until it has at least two different faults!

Tony Glazier

Agile,
thanks for the positive input hindsight is a wonderful thing I know. But as I have only recently split with my partner of many years I have just been struggling along with the boiler until now. I wish I had got somebody to look at it straight away but as I am a women and don't know anything about boilers I thought a local plumber may just say replace for a new one which just isn't viable at the moment. If I was armed with a idea of what it may be I wouldn't be ripped off.

Many thanks

Jenny

Sponsored Links
As long as you choose someone reputable, ideally by personal recommendation, there is little chance of you getting ripped off. Boiler engineers are not generally dishonest in spite of what you seem to think.

TV's Rogue Traders is an entainment program with staged senarios.

Maybe its time to call the partner back. ( Not sure how thats going to help unless he is a boiler engineer although you imply him no longer being there has some involvement in the current problem ).

Tony

id go for a fixed price repair from either the manufacturer or bg, if its the pcb ya looking over £200 (which it sound like to me)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back